Vorotnavank is a medieval monastic complex, located in Syunik region, on the edge of the gorge of Vorotan River. The monastery was founded in the year of 1000 by Queen Shahandukht of Syunik. It consists of St. Gregory, St. Stepanos, St. Karapet churches, courtyard, pillar rooms, guest house, as well as auxiliary buildings, a fence and a cemetery. According to historian Stepanos Orbelyan, St. Gregory one-nave church of Vorotnavank (at present – only ruins) was founded by Gregory The Illuminator, and rebuilt by the hermit Father Stepanos. In the early Middle Ages the church was known for its power to cure snake bites and later it became a prominent pilgrimage site.