Built in 1834, the Black Fortress is one of the famous monuments of Gyumri. The fortress is a complex of military and architectural buildings. In the central part there stands the Alexandropol Fortress with 3 gates, in the center – the layout of St. Alexandra church together with the southern and northern fortresses, serving as the General Protection Complex of Alexandropol. Underground roads were built for the Black Fortress and there were roads leading from the fortress to the present Mother Armenia Monument and the Red Fortress. Black Fortress is included in the list of intangible monuments of history and culture of Gyumri.